Your search (subject=MLNC Speakers Series) returned 1 hit(s):
- Open Source Software in Libraries: Opportunities and Expenses
- Description: Open source software (OSS) is not a panacea; it will not cure all problems computer. On the other hand, it does provide the library profession with enumerable opportunities as long as we are willing to pay a few expenses. This essay elaborates on these ideas by: 1) outlining what open source software is, 2) describing how its principles are similar to the principles of librarianship, and 3) enumerating a number of open source software applications. By the end it is hoped you will be have a better understanding of what open source can and cannot do for libraries. You will be better able to discuss topics related to open source software with "techies". Finally, and probably most importantly, you will have learned the definition of "free" in the context of open source.
- Date: 2008-12-01
- Source: This presentation was never formally published, but is was written for the MLNC Speaker Series in St. Louis Missouri
- Subject(s): MLNC Speakers Series; presentations; open source software; librarianship;
- URL: http://infomotions.com/musings/oss4mlnc/index.shtml