Infomotions provides consulting, teaching, and computer programming services to libraries, librarians, and other library organizations.
With more than twenty years of experience, Infomotions can assist you, your staff, and your fellow employees learn about, create, and maintain digital library collections and services that are usable, scalable, sustainable, and relevant to your patrons.
The purpose of this website is to describe, illustrate, and demonstrate the values of Infomotions as well as our abilities. For example, Infomotions has been practicing open access publishing and open source software distribution for more than fifteen years. All of our articles, presentations, workshops, handouts, travel logs, and software are freely available through our Musings on Information and Librarianship. Two of the more significant items are the workshops XML In Libraries and Open Source Software in Libraries. A randomly created link to one "musing" is here:
- "Next-Generation" Library Catalogs
- Description: This presentation outlines some of the possibilities for "next-generation" library catalogs. Specifically it describes the technology behind these applications, enumerates ways they can exploit sets of globally networked computers, and posits opportunities for new and improved services within and around them. Librarianship has traditionally been about collection, preservation, organization, and re-distribution. These over-arching goals are still relevant in today's environment, but the methods the profession can use to achieve them is changing. The venerable library catalog and the thing it seems to be morphing into is just one example. This presentation brings together the how's and why's of this issue.
- Date: 2009-03-25
- Source: This presentation was written to be given at the libraries of the Purdue University on March 27 as well as an IOLUG meeting on May 15, 2009
- Subject(s): Purdue University; next generation library catalogs; Indiana On-Line User's Group (IOLUG); presentations; librarianship;
- URL: http://infomotions.com/musings/ngc4purdue/
The Image Gallery contains more than 1,200 photographic images with browsable and searchable interfaces. Below are three randomly selected images from the collection:
The ability to search in an important component of any information system. By combining well-structured metadata with open source indexing techniques it is easy to find things in our collections. For example, try searching the Musings for articles, librarians, libraries, and librarianship, presentations, or travel logs. Search the Gallery for flowers or sculptures.
This site also hosts a number of other collections including our:
- Alex Catalogue of Electronic Texts - a collection of "great" American and English literature as well as Western philosophy
- Mr. Serials Collection - a set of library-related electronic serials
- Electronic texts - bunches o' books in digital form
- Mini-Musings - a blog
- Water Collection - some waters of the world
- Sandbox - the place where we do our applied R&D such as: MyLibrary, Infomotions's Movies, Infomotions' Gutenberg Index, Infomotions' Library of Books, as well as other half baked goodies
If you think Infomotions can assist you and your organization with your digital library collections and services, then don't hesitate to drop us a line. We love to get email.
Eric Lease Morgan
Date created: 2000-05-19
Date updated: 2012-08-27